There is always a light

There is always a light
Don't be afraid if you are alone or surrounded by darkness. In some part of the world, the day has just begun. There is a always a light waiting for you to find your way to touch its radiance.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Am a Woman

By Rituparna Chakraborty
New Delhi, India
Earth is a Woman. So is our country India. And here we are struggling and debating over the Women’s Reservation Bill on whether entitlement IS the road to empowerment.


As I represent the woman of Urban India now guess my perspective would also be completely different. Important to share, though, that I was born in the small town of Durgapur in West Bengal. My father is a doctor and my mother was a housewife till my younger sister grew up and now a school teacher. Durgapur isn’t exactly a land of opportunities but definitely a land of good education. My education and my parents were the reasons behind me never thinking of myself even a shade less capable in any task than my guy friends. Maybe, the fact, that I didn’t have a brother was responsible in many ways my never differentiating between a man and woman either in ability or capability. Always had more guy friends than girl friends and I dared them all the time and not because I wanted to prove that as a woman I could do better but because I thought of myself as an equal contender in all our rendezvous.


Now that I live in a land of far better opportunities and that I have a great job in hand I ask myself whether I could have done better with women reservations or better still being a man – my answer would be a definite “no”. My own lack of aspiration or mediocre standards could be a reason but not my gender.


What the woman of this country needs is their right to education and ofcourse the right to live. The day women of India are liberated from these two constraints we shall earn our place in society, workplace and in democracy.

And yes, am not wishing anyone a “Happy Woman’s day” today. Well imagine a single day without a woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment